Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Vampy Diaries [Lipstick Talk]

Hey friends!

The other day, I was browsing through an old magazine and I saw an article on dark vampy lips. This got me excited because I've been into bold, dark lips lately. I got inspired to look through my things and pick out the ones that I've been gravitating towards lately. I decided I'm gonna do a post on my most reached for statement lipsticks. All of my picks are from the drugstore with the exception of one from Elizabeth Arden and one that you can only get online from BH Cosmetics.


Here are my picks! (Swatched together at the end of the post)


  • Rimmel by Kate Moss 09 - I was gonna take this out of the list because it's definitely not as vampy but I decided to just throw it in because of how bold it is. It's a deep berry color with a satin finish. Awesome lasting power. Definitely leaves a stain even after you wipe it off.
  • Milani Lipstick in 22 Chilled Brandy - Pearl Red Mauve Shimmer (website description) Good staying power, leaves a stain even after a few hours or when first layers of color are wiped off. This smells so good! I think it smells like watermelon.
  • Wet N' Wild Silk Finish 522A Dark Wine - Very deep wine color with a glossy finish. This one bleeds around the lips a little bit so it's recommended that you use a lip pencil with it. Hydrating for a dark lipstick this color. 
  • NYC Ultra Last Lipwear in Plum Rum - Hydrating light raisin color with an orange-y brown undertone. Kind of a darker nude color. Less shimmer but similar to Garnet
  • NYC Ultra Last Lipwear in Garnet - Hydrating light red orange-y brown shade with gold shimmer
  • Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Ultra Lipstick In Cassis - plum (a more muted red than WnW Dark Wine) with a silky finish. Not drugstore but I've been wearing this a lot!
  • Loreal Colour Riche in 182 Satiny Cocoa - One of my favorites, it's exactly as its' name says - a deep cocoa (brown) shade with a satin finish. Great Lasting Power and easy to apply.
  • Milani Lipstick in 21 Sangria - Also smells like watermelon! It's a deep reddish plum with a semi-matte finish. I don't think it's completely matte although a lot of people say it is. I like it because it's not as drying as other matte lipsticks but I wouldn't call it moisturizing.
  • Wet N Wild Megalast in 908C Sugar Plum Fairy - You probably know about this one. Famous for being a dupe for Mac's Rebel, this shade is one of the first few that attracted me to vampy lips. Deep plum again with a semi-matte finish. It's super long wearing and may bleed a little bit but depending on how careful you are, you can get away with wearing it without a lip liner. Not the most moisturizing but not too drying either.
  • Wet N Wild Megalast in 918D Cherry Bomb - Another one of my favorites, this one can be a little drying so you need to make sure you hydrate your lips before putting it on. Additionally, I suggest you let your lip balm really sink in because it bleeds a little bit and can be a little messy to apply. This is a deep brown almost oxblood color.
  • Nyx Round Lipstick in 575 Black Cherry - I would say this the goth sister of the Rimmel Kate Moss lipstick mentioned previously. It has a satin finish, wears okay but has the tendency to smudge and move around.
  • BH Cosmetics Creme Lux Lipstick in Moody Merlotdeep burgundy red with a creamy finish (website description) Very creamy and smooth to apply so you have to be really careful! It's also long lasting.

Here are all the lipsticks swatched side by side:



I figured that since there's a lot on the list and they're almost all in the same color category, it would be easier to see them together so you can see the differences on them. If you want to see any particular one worn on the lips, then definitely let me know and I'll do that for you!

What do you think of this trend? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh I am loving the Kate Moss one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! AND the best part is, I found it on clearance at CVS for I think $2! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I have the "Vampy" look down. Red lips and pale skin will do it every time! ;)

    -Courtney

    Follow me @: www.thepinkporch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sounds perfect. I think Vampy lips were made for pale skin! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete